Friday, October 10, 2008

chicken or the egg?

Here is a little story for you. "cheers for story" "come on you guys you know you miss story time almost as much as nap time…;)" . So the other day, as I was doing laundry like a responsible young adult "gives self pat on back for alluding to and actually doing a very hard thing ;)" , I pulled out from my laundered jeans pocket a very worn and well washed scrap of paper on which I had taken interrogative notes and doodled adequately on one evening at youth group. These questions that were written down seemed to be reoccurring in the discussions we have had as well as reoccurring in my mind as I read through “Do Hard Things”. I read over the notes again and, as I read the questions now before me in faded grey ink, I realized that I still had the same questions. The queries that had sprouted that night remained still unsatisfactorily answered and haphazardly strewn about in my mind. The long and short of it is I am now addressing said questions to you "consequently, it would be simply amazing to hear y’all's opinions/thoughts/concerns/snide remarks etc…"

  • Do the expectations placed upon us (culturally or otherwise) allow/disallow opportunity?
  • Do the expectations placed upon us (culturally or otherwise) make/force or extinguish opportunity?
  • Can we ourselves make opportunity?
  • Are we held responsible to make opportunity?
  • Do we take opportunity?
  • Do we stumble upon opportunity?
  • Are we to be reprimanded for waiting for opportunity to knock on our door?
  • Are we to be commended for knocking on opportunity’s door?

"some of the preceding are the same idea rephrased again, yet there is some minute difference that warrants its repetition. That’s my story anyway, and I’m a gonna be sticking to it"

1 comment:

Colin said...

I think that cultural expectations disallow opportunity by both making adults doubt our ability to act like adults and making us doubt our own power to act responsibly. We can make opportunity by showing to others and ourself are true potential by doing hard things. Little hard things will prove our ability which will give us opportunity to do bigger hard things. Those are my thoughts. . . .